Are you ready for a new pet? It’s a big commitment! At Valley Humane Society, our goal is to find a permanent home for each dog and cat in our care. VHS adoption counselors are available on-site to assist you in choosing the right cat or dog for your family, but there are many questions to consider before adopting.
Cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies may be visited any time VHS is open, though adoptions end 30 minutes prior to closing. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the adoption process.
The Adoption Process
- Come fall in love!
- Spend some time with the animal you are considering adopting so you have a sense of their personality. Keep in mind that many animals behave different in our facility that they will in your home. Ask questions of our staff and volunteers!
- Complete an Adoption Application.
- Meet with an Adoption Counselor to discuss your family’s expectations, abilities, needs, and previous experience. This is your chance to ask questions, explore your decision, and make sure you have chosen the right pet for your household.
- Our Adoption Counselors will assess your application for approval.
- Upon approval, you will be asked to complete additional paperwork, including an Adoption Agreement, and pay your adoption fee. Meanwhile, we will copy all documents and pertinent medical information for your files, assemble a take-home packet which includes information on feeding your new pet, check that the animals’ microchip is accurate, and prepare them for travel. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the adoption process.
- Head home to start enjoying life with your new friend!
It is strongly recommended that all adults in the household meet an animal before an adoption is completed. Resident dogs must undergo a “meet & greet” with adoptive dog. The following requirements apply to all adoptions; you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age, or 18 years old with a co-adopter age 21+ years at the same residence.
- Provide legal ID showing your current address to verify age.
- Understand that VHS reserves the right to deny any adoption for any reason. While it is our goal to find a home for each and every animal in our care, it is also our responsibility to ensure that each animal finds a home that is not only safe and loving, but is right for their particular temperament.
You Made it Home… Now What?
It’s important to us that you and your new pet are happy together. That’s why we’re here to provide support and counseling during the transition to your home. You can contact us for assistance and advice, or search for specific topics in our Resources & Links section.
- Cats & Kittens: $100
- Dogs & Puppies: $150
The cost of preparing an animal for adoption is far greater than we recoup in fees: as much as $250, not including food, boarding, staff time, or shelter overhead. And yet you get a lot in return! All animals come with the following: