Are you ready for a new pet? It’s a big commitment! At Valley Humane Society, our goal is to find a permanent home for each dog and cat in our care. VHS adoption counselors are available on-site to assist you in choosing the right cat or dog for your family, but there are many questions to consider before adopting.
Cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies may be visited any time VHS is open, though adoptions end 30 minutes prior to closing. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the adoption process.
The Adoption Process
- Come fall in love!
- Spend some time with the animal you are considering adopting so you have a sense of their personality. Keep in mind that many animals behave different in our facility than they will in your home. Ask questions of our staff and volunteers!
- NEW!! If you are considering adopting an adult cat, please fill out a Cat Adopter’s Survey at our front desk. This is part of a new matchmaking program that will help us introduce you to the cats that most closely match your ideal feline companion.
- Once you have decided which pet you like best, complete an Adoption Application.
- Meet with an Adoption Counselor to discuss your family’s expectations, abilities, needs, and previous experience. This is your chance to ask questions, explore your decision, and make sure you have chosen the right pet for your household.
- Our Adoption Counselors will consider all factors from the perspective of the individual animal’s needs.
- Upon approval, you will be asked to complete additional paperwork. The Adoption Counselor will walk you through our Adoption Agreement. All documents and pertinent medical information will be copied for your files. We will also assemble a take-home packet which includes information on feeding your new pet, check that the animals’ microchip is accurate, and prepare them for travel. Finally, you will be asked to provide the adoption fee. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the adoption process.
- After a quick snap for our Facebook page (optional, of course!), you’re ready to head home to start enjoying life with your new friend!
It is strongly recommended that all adults in the household meet an animal before an adoption is completed. Resident dogs must undergo a “meet & greet” with the adoptive dog. The following requirements apply to all adoptions; you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age, or 18 years old with a co-adopter age 21+ years at the same residence.
- Provide legal ID showing your current address to verify age.
- Understand that VHS reserves the right to deny any adoption for any reason. While it is our goal to find a home for each and every animal in our care, it is also our responsibility to ensure that each animal finds a home that is not only safe and loving, but is right for their particular temperament.
You Made it Home… Now What?
It’s important to us that you and your new pet are happy together. That’s why we’re here to provide support and counseling during the transition to your home. You can contact us for assistance and advice, or search for specific topics in our Resources & Links section. Specifically, if you have recently adopted a dog, please visit this page to learn how to register your pet in compliance with the State of California.
- Cats & Kittens: $100
- Dogs & Puppies: $150
The cost of preparing an animal for adoption is far greater than we recoup in fees: as much as $250, not including food, boarding, staff time, or shelter overhead. And yet you get a lot in return! All animals come with the following: